Cairns Convention Centre
Corner Wharf & Sheridan Street, Cairns 4870 Queensland Australia https://www.cairnsconvention.com.au/
The world class Cairns Convention Centre is everything you would expect from an international purpose-built venue located amidst nature’s pristine playground.
Cairns is the only place in the world where the ‘rainforest meets the reef’. Home to two of the world’s greatest wonders - the world-heritage listed Great Barrier Reef and the world’s oldest rainforest, the Daintree.
Situated between two World Heritage listed areas, the Great Barrier Reef and Wet Tropics Rainforest, it is important the Cairns Convention Centre maintains stringent environmental controls.
The Cairns Convention Centre holds Earth Check benchmark status based on practices commenced in 1996 when the building opened. Some of the design elements include:
- A double layer pleated plate roof is designed to capture the seasonal tropical downpours, and channel rainwater directly into rain water storage tanks.
- Water usage is modified further by the installation of water flow restrictors on all outlets.
- Solar Hot Water heaters provide between 30% and 35% of the Centre’s hot water needs.
- Shading Devices are installed along the eastern side of the structure, reducing the level of air conditioning needed to keep the building cool.
We respect our natural environment and recognise the need to reduce any harmful effects on it and promote sustainability to ensure not only these natural wonders, but the whole environment is preserved for future generations.
The Centre aims to promote better sustainability through:
- Compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and adhering to all required standards and benefits
- Setting and communicating environmental objectives to reduce natural resources used and minimise adverse environmental impacts
- Incorporating sustainability principles in current and future policy, procedure and decision-making processes
- Aid regeneration through supporting locally accredited environmental organisations as a means to offsetting clients, delegates and our own footprint and assisting the sustainability for future generations
- Continually review, monitor and reduce the Centre’s impact on the environment by assessing and setting targets on energy consumption, water consumption, waste production, paper, cleaning and pesticide use by reducing, recycling and reusing
- Encourage and engage staff, suppliers and other partners who have similar environmental philosophies
The Centre also has a number of local Environmental Partners:
- They are founding members of the Citizens of the Great Barrier Reef.
- They provide funding to support the rehabilitation of ‘Sharon’ one of the turtles cared for at the Cairns Turtle Rehabilitation Centre.
- They donate time to assist Rainforest Rescue in rebuilding the Daintree Rainforest the region.
- They advocate and promote the activities of the Reef Restoration Foundation.
The venue is an easy walking distance from a range of accommodation options, which will be available to delegates to book at the time of registering for the Conference.
For those driving, the Cairns Convention Centre has 239 undercover parking spaces including 7 identified disabled car parking bays. Entrance to our car park is via Sheridan Street and the cost is $7.00 per exit.